Skip to main content

S.O.A.R.: Saturday Opportunities for Adaptive Recreation

“Don’t be afraid to throw the ball.” Normally, when playing the rough and rowdy game of dodgeball, you wouldn’t have to tell me this twice. But when you’re the only one left on your team, and the opponent you are facing is a 14-year-old girl with cerebral palsy leaning precariously on crutches, you have to be told twice, three times, maybe even ten times, that you shouldn’t be afraid to throw the ball. And there I was, clutching a foam dodgeball, mind racing a million miles an hour, and despite what the adaptive recreation supervisor was telling me, I was afraid of throwing the ball.


Backtracking a bit, this was my second time at the SOAR—or Saturday Opportunities for Adaptive Recreation—program. The first time I went, I had an eye-opening experience playing wheelchair basketball with kids who had various disabilities, ranging from cerebral palsy to Downs syndrome to autism. Nothing makes you realize how lucky you are like shooting a basket while standing, and then being put into a wheelchair and trying to do the same thing. But that didn’t deter any of the kids from participating, and not to mention dominating, in the sport. The bursts of laughter and playful remarks from the kids about my inability to turn in a wheelchair played repeatedly in my head for the rest of that week, and I found myself gushing to everyone and anyone about the program. It was the first year that Bruin Belles had collaborated with SOAR, and it immediately became a Belle favorite because of the amount of interaction that we were able to have with the disabled youths. Typically, the same families came every week, so we were blessed with the chance to see them grow as the weeks went on.


So now that you have a bit of background on how I got to where I was, back to my initial story. Seconds passed by like minutes, as I frantically fought against every urge to gently roll the ball, or intentionally throw it completely off target. I looked to my teammates, and none offered any suggestions, just as torn as I was. And then I remembered something that girl had said to me earlier that day when I asked her what she wanted to do when she was older. She had smiled and said, “I love dance. And I love UCLA. And someday, I want to go to UCLA, and study dance, and perform at big shows and concerts. I know really hard, both to get into UCLA and also to dance, but I’ve been through a lot, and I’m strong enough.  If anything, I’m stronger than those who haven’t done what I’ve done, experienced what I’ve experienced.” Those words came flooding into my head, and I made the decision I would have wanted her to make for me; the ball left my hand flying right at her, and she squealed and crutched as quickly as possible to get out of the way. One of her crutches slipped on the floor, and she went crashing down, and I immediately ran over, feeling like I had made the absolute worst decision of my life. As I opened my mouth to apologize, she started laughing, and shouted, “I hope you know that this means war! I’ll take you down, and you’re going to wish you’d never started this!”


Needless to say, SOAR really opened my eyes to adaptive recreation, and how youth deal differently with the same disabilities. I’ve learned countless lessons from the kids I’ve seen week after week, and I can honestly say that they’ve changed my life. I couldn’t be more thankful to Bruin Belles for opening up the opportunity! BBSA; changing our lives every, single day! <3

Bertina Loui
Third Year Belle | Philanthropy Co-Director

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imposter Syndrome and Finding Myself

The person I was when I stepped on campus 4 years ago is unrecognizable to me now. I came to college knowing that I wanted to be pre-med but having no friends or family following a similar path, I felt so lost in navigating my path on my own. I started college being terrified of failing. I was so naive and so desperate to succeed I was not taking care of myself. My second year was when I reached my lowest point. I was so depressed and lonely, I considered leaving  UCLA. I did not feel smart enough to be there, I didn’t feel likable enough because I didn’t really have friends. Joining Belles in my junior year was a big part of completely transforming my UCLA experience. Belles was the first time I felt completely embraced by a group of people. It was the first space in which I felt like everyone truly wanted the best for each other. The people and the opportunity to help others were exactly what my heart needed at that time in my life. Service is something that is so incredibly importan

What I Didn't Know

  What I didn't know The morning after I got the highly anticipated call that I got into Bruin Belles, I found this bell (figure 1) on my dorm door: a door belle…get it? I can still very clearly remember the few weeks surrounding this moment. I wanted it SO BADLY! When I saw the Belles tri-fold at the enormous activities fair, I knew immediately that I needed to be a part of that community. On paper, it sounded like everything I wanted: a group of likeminded passionate women who did community service together and other social events. I worked tirelessly on my application and was so nervous for my interview that I signed up for the very first slot (Monday at 8am… yikes). I got the long-awaited call late on a Friday night. Yashvi, the public relations director at the time, told me that I had gotten in, and while still on the phone I screamed “I GOT IN!” to my roommate. My heart was beating so fast. However, I think if I had known what was to come, my heart would have beat so fast it

Stepping Outside my Comfort Zone

Spring Retreat 2023 was by far one of the highlights of my BBSA experience, for reasons I never expected. Throughout my second year in Belles I served as a Social DB, and for this retreat, was tasked with the job of heading the Activities Committee. A couple months of planning and preparation later, I was wracked with anxiety about being so in charge– what if nobody had fun? What if we planned too much? Too little? What if someone gets hurt, what if I screw up as a host, what if quite literally anything negative happens? It was a very rigid, unforgiving feeling, and I was then left with the personal expectation that I was going to get there and not be able to enjoy myself because of this pressure. I was terrified of letting anyone down, especially so because this was the first weekend retreat Belles has hosted in years. If anything went awry, I felt fully unprepared to handle it, but at least I could say I had considered the worst. I tried to take solace in that semblance of control,