Skip to main content

Momentum: The 2015 Women's Leadership Conference





As I write this entry on the eve of International Women’s Day, it seems only fitting to reflect upon and celebrate the monumental morning that was the 2015 Women’s Leadership Conference “Momentum!” Through my years of involvement with this organization, the Women’s Leadership Conference remains my very favorite Belle event. What beats an empowering, motivational morning engaging in intellectual discussions and surrounding oneself with some of the strongest, brightest, inspiring young leaders around? With the events and speakers from last year’s conference still resonating within me, I was eager to see what Angela and her phenomenal committee had planned for this year’s conference. With my eagerness for the conference bubbling over, I was even more ecstatic to bring my sister and her best friend along this time! Of course they’ve heard my incessant bragging about Bruin Belles and all its glory time and time again, and I was overjoyed to share with them our organization’s goals and to encourage them to gain “momentum” in all aspects of their lives. Following the conference, the three of us had such deep, stimulating discussions which encouraged the girls to go beyond their comfort zones and challenge their own minds. It seemed that Eve’s presentation on self-image resonated with them the most, as teenaged girls often face struggles with maintaining a strong sense of self confidence and feeling comfortable in their skin. Even later in the day, I saw an immense change in the way they carried themselves and interacted with their peers. I feel that this is the perfect representation of the impact that strong female leaders around the world can have on those around them, and that’s what I love most about our organization.  I cannot wait to see the further, incredible actions that our own members take in the future to better our world and inspire our rising female leaders. Most of all, I cannot wait to see where this powerful “momentum” drives us from here.

Lexi Joyce
Distinguished Belle

Second Year Bruin Belle



Last week was one of my favorite Bruin Belles events of the year, Women's Leadership Conference. The conference is intended to inspire and empower women in all aspects of their life by featuring speeches from women leaders in our community. This year, we heard about the epidemic of sexual assault on college campuses, body image and self esteem, verbally and physically abusive relationships, and the struggle of being a women in a male dominated field like engineering. Each speaker brought their own unique experiences to the table, and offered their advice on how to deal with situations like their own, situations that are common struggles for women today. In addition to listening to the speakers, those attending got to partake in thought provoking discussions about the struggles they have faced as a woman and how they overcame them. The conference as a whole made me feel proud to be a women, a UCLA student, and especially a Bruin Belle.

Katie Gilliland
Distinguished Belle
Second Year Bruin Belle








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imposter Syndrome and Finding Myself

The person I was when I stepped on campus 4 years ago is unrecognizable to me now. I came to college knowing that I wanted to be pre-med but having no friends or family following a similar path, I felt so lost in navigating my path on my own. I started college being terrified of failing. I was so naive and so desperate to succeed I was not taking care of myself. My second year was when I reached my lowest point. I was so depressed and lonely, I considered leaving  UCLA. I did not feel smart enough to be there, I didn’t feel likable enough because I didn’t really have friends. Joining Belles in my junior year was a big part of completely transforming my UCLA experience. Belles was the first time I felt completely embraced by a group of people. It was the first space in which I felt like everyone truly wanted the best for each other. The people and the opportunity to help others were exactly what my heart needed at that time in my life. Service is something that is so incredibly importan

What I Didn't Know

  What I didn't know The morning after I got the highly anticipated call that I got into Bruin Belles, I found this bell (figure 1) on my dorm door: a door belle…get it? I can still very clearly remember the few weeks surrounding this moment. I wanted it SO BADLY! When I saw the Belles tri-fold at the enormous activities fair, I knew immediately that I needed to be a part of that community. On paper, it sounded like everything I wanted: a group of likeminded passionate women who did community service together and other social events. I worked tirelessly on my application and was so nervous for my interview that I signed up for the very first slot (Monday at 8am… yikes). I got the long-awaited call late on a Friday night. Yashvi, the public relations director at the time, told me that I had gotten in, and while still on the phone I screamed “I GOT IN!” to my roommate. My heart was beating so fast. However, I think if I had known what was to come, my heart would have beat so fast it

Stepping Outside my Comfort Zone

Spring Retreat 2023 was by far one of the highlights of my BBSA experience, for reasons I never expected. Throughout my second year in Belles I served as a Social DB, and for this retreat, was tasked with the job of heading the Activities Committee. A couple months of planning and preparation later, I was wracked with anxiety about being so in charge– what if nobody had fun? What if we planned too much? Too little? What if someone gets hurt, what if I screw up as a host, what if quite literally anything negative happens? It was a very rigid, unforgiving feeling, and I was then left with the personal expectation that I was going to get there and not be able to enjoy myself because of this pressure. I was terrified of letting anyone down, especially so because this was the first weekend retreat Belles has hosted in years. If anything went awry, I felt fully unprepared to handle it, but at least I could say I had considered the worst. I tried to take solace in that semblance of control,