Skip to main content

Challah for Hunger


I’ll be the first to shamefully admit that when I first signed up to bake bread for Challah for Hunger, my motives were not exactly Gandhi-esque. I thought: it’s convenient, right near campus, I get to learn how to make food and eat it in the end. Sweet. I did not know what foundation the proceeds of the challah were going, all I knew was that challah was delicious.

I did indeed learn how to roll and fill the challah dough (a useful skill) and purchased a loaf for myself, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, a period of illumination occurred some time in between the dough-rolling and the challah-eating, when the bread was rising in the oven, when UCLA Alumna and Jewish World Watch Co-Founder and President Janice Kamenir-Reznik gave an enlightening presentation on where exactly the funds from Challah for Hunger were headed.

The Jewish World Watch is dedicated to putting an end to mass atrocities, such as that which irreparably devastated European Jewry (amongst many other minority groups as well) in the late 1930s and 1940s. The JWW’s mission is clearly evidenced by its motto: “Fight genocide. Do not stand idly by.” In a presentation accompanied by PowerPoint slides, Mrs. Kamenir-Reznik, armed with her impressive statistics, explained how the proceeds of Challah for Hunger were going to provide solar cookers for women in refugee camps in Africa, eliminating their need to leave the camps to collect firewood, and thereby dramatically lowering rates of assault and rape on these women. The statistics themselves elicited an audible gasp from the audience, as did Mrs. Kamenir-Reznik’s astonishing stories about the plight of the women in African refugee camps, the very same women we were helping protect from harm indirectly through our baking.

At one point during her presentation, I was so personally affected by what Mrs. Kamenir-Reznick was saying about the kinds of decisions women in refugee camps had to make, such as the choice between letting herself and her children go hungry or getting raped, that I exited the room for a bit. As a young woman who one day hopes to have children, I simply could not fathom confronting that dilemma on a daily basis. I left Hillel that day with more than just a tasty piece of bread; I left armed with knowledge and a new cause.

Michelle Nosratian
First Year Belle


Popular posts from this blog

A Senior's Reflection

A Senior's Reflection   As my time at UCLA and Belles comes to an end, I want to reflect on all the experiences I’ve been lucky enough to have over the past years. I am so grateful to be surrounded by so many great people, many of whom I have found through Belles. This community has given me so much and I could not be more appreciative. It provided such a welcoming and open space for me to grow as a person when I first arrived on campus at UCLA after a full year of online school. With the time I have been given in Westwood,  I have been challenged academically, learned to embrace independence and time alone, and have learned more about myself in the process. That is truly a gift.   That being said, some of my favorite and most impactful Belle events have been Meals on Wheels and Baby2Baby. Meals on Wheels was an amazing experience, and I truly felt like I was making a difference in the community. Through this organization, we packed meals and distributed them to older adu...

A Sense of Belonging

Being surrounded by the incredibly driven, selfless and compassionate individuals that are Bruin Belles has been so fundamental to me finding a sense of belonging at the immensely intimidating and overwhelming institution that is UCLA. I am continually inspired by the ubiquitous drive to serve and learn among belles, despite the wide diversity of academic interests, campus involvements, and career aspirations. BBSA has allowed me to give, learn, and grow in ways I would have never expected, all while having a lot of fun. Some of my best memories range from making meaningful connections over coffee at Kerckhoff, engaging in hands-on philanthropy projects, and networking with incredible alumni and connected professionals.  To be frank, this quarter was both mentally and physically exhausting for me as I continue on my search to find my interests and niche at UCLA. However, seeing Belles every week kept me energized, positive, and motivated as I navigated through draining back-to...

The Bruin Belles Community

When asked what Bruin Belles is all about, we summarize our focus on community service and women’s leadership, as we are united under these integral fundamentals. Yet, the experience of Bruin Belles extends far beyond those five words. Bruin Belles as an organization and the Belles in it are incredibly well-rounded. Attending community service events, campus sports and arts events, and women’s leadership events throughout every quarter connects Belles to fellow Belles, fellow students, the UCLA community, and the Los Angeles community at large. The wholistic nature of the events and goals of Bruin Belles provides Belles with the opportunity to enrich their UCLA experience. The significance of all the experiences that Bruin Belles provides is augmented by the caliber of the women themselves. Every Belle with whom I’ve had the incredible opportunity of becoming friends with is grounded, passionate, ambitious, and compassionate. I don’t use these words lightly. Regardless of major or inte...