Skip to main content

Bruin Belles: Strong and Kind

    Coming to UCLA, I always knew that I wanted to serve my community. I had joined a service organization my freshman year, but the club and its members were not very active, and so I didn’t feel like I was a part of a community. Bruin Belles attracted me because not only is it a philanthropy organization, but it is also an organization focused on sisterhood and fostering women’s leadership - two values that are very important to me. 

    I would hear from my friends that were already in Bruin Belles that the women in the organization were strong, inspiring, and kind. My one friend put it this way: each Belle is passionate and compassionate. I felt like those two values were core to who I am, and so I decided to pursue recruitment and subsequently had the honor of becoming a member. 

    Right from my first Bruin Belles event at the Baby Belle brunch, I saw that my friends were right about Belles. Every Belle that I met had had their own unique passions for service, some for the environment and others for education, but also exuded a powerful compassion for all people around them. 

    BBSA has become my community that I love. From the trips to get Sidecar donuts to the countless hours planning decorations for the Women's Leadership Conference, every moment with Belles is so sweet. Belles are women that I admire, women that I know that I can lean on for support, and are women that continually inspire me. It is such a joy and privilege to serve alongside these wonderful women. 

Kayla Park                                                                                                                                           
Women's Leadership Distinguished Belle




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Senior's Reflection

A Senior's Reflection   As my time at UCLA and Belles comes to an end, I want to reflect on all the experiences I’ve been lucky enough to have over the past years. I am so grateful to be surrounded by so many great people, many of whom I have found through Belles. This community has given me so much and I could not be more appreciative. It provided such a welcoming and open space for me to grow as a person when I first arrived on campus at UCLA after a full year of online school. With the time I have been given in Westwood,  I have been challenged academically, learned to embrace independence and time alone, and have learned more about myself in the process. That is truly a gift.   That being said, some of my favorite and most impactful Belle events have been Meals on Wheels and Baby2Baby. Meals on Wheels was an amazing experience, and I truly felt like I was making a difference in the community. Through this organization, we packed meals and distributed them to older adu...

The Bruin Belles Community

When asked what Bruin Belles is all about, we summarize our focus on community service and women’s leadership, as we are united under these integral fundamentals. Yet, the experience of Bruin Belles extends far beyond those five words. Bruin Belles as an organization and the Belles in it are incredibly well-rounded. Attending community service events, campus sports and arts events, and women’s leadership events throughout every quarter connects Belles to fellow Belles, fellow students, the UCLA community, and the Los Angeles community at large. The wholistic nature of the events and goals of Bruin Belles provides Belles with the opportunity to enrich their UCLA experience. The significance of all the experiences that Bruin Belles provides is augmented by the caliber of the women themselves. Every Belle with whom I’ve had the incredible opportunity of becoming friends with is grounded, passionate, ambitious, and compassionate. I don’t use these words lightly. Regardless of major or inte...

A Sense of Belonging

Being surrounded by the incredibly driven, selfless and compassionate individuals that are Bruin Belles has been so fundamental to me finding a sense of belonging at the immensely intimidating and overwhelming institution that is UCLA. I am continually inspired by the ubiquitous drive to serve and learn among belles, despite the wide diversity of academic interests, campus involvements, and career aspirations. BBSA has allowed me to give, learn, and grow in ways I would have never expected, all while having a lot of fun. Some of my best memories range from making meaningful connections over coffee at Kerckhoff, engaging in hands-on philanthropy projects, and networking with incredible alumni and connected professionals.  To be frank, this quarter was both mentally and physically exhausting for me as I continue on my search to find my interests and niche at UCLA. However, seeing Belles every week kept me energized, positive, and motivated as I navigated through draining back-to...