Skip to main content

Impact of Bruin Belles

Without a doubt, I don’t think I could have ever imagined my college experience without Belles. The immediate sense of belonging and love I feel from Belles is beyond imaginable and I know applying for Belles was one of my best decisions at UCLA.


As an incoming freshman, the year was extremely daunting. I knew practically no one who would be attending UCLA and the only thing I could remember from my first few weeks was my dorm room walls. Being extremely shy, I had yet to establish any secure friendships. 


Looking back, I know now that I could have probably tired a little harder, but this also would have never happened without joining BBSA. Upon seeing Belles at the activities fair and then at open house, I was astounded at the sense of sisterhood and support network Belles practically radiated. Even during the interview process (where I’m pretty sure I constantly said “I’m so sorry. I’m so nervous”), every Belle comforted me and allowed me to become more expressive and open. 

Upon Fall Retreat, every individual oozed confidence, empowerment, and grace, all the attributes I wished to become. However during my time in Belles, I realized every individual has these traits and it is with Bruin Belles that it allowed me to step into a much more comfortable version of myself. 

Everyday, I am continuously empowered by these women who are the epitomes of strength and resilience. From volunteering at the LA food bank to garlic knots at C&C Trattoria I don’t want to imagine an experience at UCLA without Belles. I am completely honored to have such an amazing support system and cannot wait for more everlasting memories with you all.


Shashanna Nguyen

Fundraising DB



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imposter Syndrome and Finding Myself

The person I was when I stepped on campus 4 years ago is unrecognizable to me now. I came to college knowing that I wanted to be pre-med but having no friends or family following a similar path, I felt so lost in navigating my path on my own. I started college being terrified of failing. I was so naive and so desperate to succeed I was not taking care of myself. My second year was when I reached my lowest point. I was so depressed and lonely, I considered leaving  UCLA. I did not feel smart enough to be there, I didn’t feel likable enough because I didn’t really have friends. Joining Belles in my junior year was a big part of completely transforming my UCLA experience. Belles was the first time I felt completely embraced by a group of people. It was the first space in which I felt like everyone truly wanted the best for each other. The people and the opportunity to help others were exactly what my heart needed at that time in my life. Service is something that is so incredibly importan

What I Didn't Know

  What I didn't know The morning after I got the highly anticipated call that I got into Bruin Belles, I found this bell (figure 1) on my dorm door: a door belle…get it? I can still very clearly remember the few weeks surrounding this moment. I wanted it SO BADLY! When I saw the Belles tri-fold at the enormous activities fair, I knew immediately that I needed to be a part of that community. On paper, it sounded like everything I wanted: a group of likeminded passionate women who did community service together and other social events. I worked tirelessly on my application and was so nervous for my interview that I signed up for the very first slot (Monday at 8am… yikes). I got the long-awaited call late on a Friday night. Yashvi, the public relations director at the time, told me that I had gotten in, and while still on the phone I screamed “I GOT IN!” to my roommate. My heart was beating so fast. However, I think if I had known what was to come, my heart would have beat so fast it

Stepping Outside my Comfort Zone

Spring Retreat 2023 was by far one of the highlights of my BBSA experience, for reasons I never expected. Throughout my second year in Belles I served as a Social DB, and for this retreat, was tasked with the job of heading the Activities Committee. A couple months of planning and preparation later, I was wracked with anxiety about being so in charge– what if nobody had fun? What if we planned too much? Too little? What if someone gets hurt, what if I screw up as a host, what if quite literally anything negative happens? It was a very rigid, unforgiving feeling, and I was then left with the personal expectation that I was going to get there and not be able to enjoy myself because of this pressure. I was terrified of letting anyone down, especially so because this was the first weekend retreat Belles has hosted in years. If anything went awry, I felt fully unprepared to handle it, but at least I could say I had considered the worst. I tried to take solace in that semblance of control,